We’re hiring a Gallery and Events Manager!
Organization: Baxter St at The Camera Club of New York
Location: New York, NY
Title: Gallery and Events Manager
Education: 4-Year Degree
Position Level: Manager
Position Type: Full Time Permanent (In Person)
Salary: $45-50k, Commensurate with experience
Send application materials, including cover letter, CV, and 2 references to email@example.com.
The Gallery and Events Manager at Baxter St will provide key operational, administrative, and financial support for the running of Baxter St’s gallery and project space and attendant programs, as well as serve as key support staff to the Executive Director. The position will also help oversee the organization’s donor program, interfacing with supporters and tracking funding. The ideal candidate has an entrepreneurial spirit, excellent communication skills, demonstrates careful attention to detail, and can operate at a high-level independently and as a team member.
About Baxter St at The Camera Club of New York
Founded in 1884, Baxter St at the Camera Club of New York is one of New York’s oldest arst-run nonprofit spaces fostering the development of emerging lens-based artists at critical moments of their careers. Through dynamic programming and access to workspace, Baxter St at CCNY has long been a catalyst for innovative creation within the lens-based mediums of photography and video practices. Throughout our exhibitions, workspace residency programs, and conversation series, our core mission is to support and activate a vibrant community deeply engaged in the art of lens-based contemporary practices. Baxter St has two ground floor locations on Baxter St. The first located at 126 Baxter St was opened in November of 2014 and is the primary gallery and workspace location for the organization. The secondary location for the organization is located at 128 Baxter St and hosts group shows, talks, and community events.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Gallery and Project Space Operation
- Perform general day-to-day gallery operations, administrative, financial, and program tasks.
- Assist the Program Manager in developing programming for the Conversations Series, Exhibitions, Partnerships and open calls.
- Assist in facilitating programmatic schedules
- Manage all Baxter St’s artwork sales.
- Assure that Baxter St remains in good standing with all regulatory bodies (non profit status etc.) by overseeing an annual calendar of important compliance reports and due dates.
- Generate financial reports, invoices and budgets for Baxter St’s exhibitions and events.
- Participate with other Baxter St staff in proactive management of the annual program calendar, helping assure that marketing and publicity, funding proposals, and all other support activities are well coordinated with exhibitions and programs.
- Prepare materials as requested for board meetings, exhibition and art applications, annual awards program, and other Baxter St activities.
- Assist with Baxter St’s intern and volunteer programs by corresponding with, orienting, scheduling, and providing other types of support to new and ongoing volunteers.
Donor and Audience Engagement
- Manage Baxter St’s donor benefit program and prepare acknowledgements and receipts for all contributions in a timely and accurate manner.
- Welcome and engage visitors at openings and events; includes some evenings and weekends (for development as well)
- Collaborate with development consultant to prepare information about programs for grant proposals and applications.
- Lead gallery tours and small group events with donors and partners.
- Collaborate with partners on annual benefit and other major fundraising events, including managing guest lists and vendor contracts.
- Perform other support functions and duties as required. Baxter St is a growing organization with a small staff, and employees are often called upon to perform other duties that help Baxter St accomplish organizational goals and meet important deadlines.
Professional Skills and Qualifications
- 3-5 years administrative and finance experience
- Familiarity with the accrual accounting methods
- Experience working with databases in an office, client management, or fundraising environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Individual initiative and ability to work autonomously as well as ability to be an effective, contributing member of a small staff
- Comfortable working in an office environment that changes regularly based on exhibitions
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office applications and QuickBooks.
- Detail-oriented and demonstrated ability to set priorities and complete tasks on time and in an efficient manner
- Passion for Baxter St’s work and mission
Core Competency Requirements
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse backgrounds of the community
- Solid integrity and devotion to team efforts;
- Proactive approach, flexibility, and positive, can-do attitude;
- Ability to learn new procedures on the job without formal training;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to work calmly within a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment while keeping a sense of humor